As our students wind up their school year and approach graduation, it seems appropriate to focus on another of Williamsburg’s Six Mentor Practices: engaging presentation.
How do we keep students engaged when it’s spring, nearly the end of the school year, and easy for them to choose not to log into their computers? We use compelling hooks, visuals, stories, personal touches, slides, and nonverbal communication to entice learning. Here are a few examples of how we use this practice in the classroom:
- All of our live classes begin with an introduction that piques student interest.
- We display compelling visuals throughout class to keep students engaged.
- WL mentors intentionally and consistently bring stories into their lessons since humans are hardwired to engage with this form of communication.
- We allow our mentors to bring in personal touches to improve their presentations.
- Our slides provide direction to the class but don’t own the lesson. We purposefully train our mentors to create slides with a clear and unique purpose. Mentors move through them but allow plenty of time for discussion.
Williamsburg Academy / Executive Director, LAU
Fall registration is open! Please visit this page for information to guide you through the process. If you have any questions about registration, please call our Support Team at 800-200-6869.
Limited space remaining for the Learning Brave Teen Retreat! Session one has already filled up and is accepting waitlist requests, but there are still a few openings for session two. Click here to learn more and register your student.
Outdoor Adventures is expanding: Fall registration has begun, and we’re excited to share that we’re working on adding new locations to our OA program! We currently have opportunities for new programs in Cache County, Weber County, Davis County, Salt Lake County, Utah County, Sanpete County, and Washington County. However, we still need additional students in Salt Lake County, Utah County, and Washington County to proceed with programs in those areas, so we encourage you to register your student by the end of the month.
Upcoming ILC field trips: All ILC students are invited to attend our upcoming field trips. Students should wear comfortable clothing and athletic shoes. Please be sure your student brings plenty of water, a sack lunch, and a small notebook and writing utensil.
- Ogden: Tuesday, April 26 at Mount Ogden Park from 10 AM-2 PM MT
- Logan: Thursday, April 28 at Mack Park (Middle Pavillion) from 10 AM-2 PM MT
- Pleasant Grove: Tuesday, May 3 at Quail Cove Park from 11 AM-3 PM MT
Today: Student Body Presidency Election Roundtable at 1:00 PM MT
April 26: Ogden ILC Field Trip at Mount Ogden Park from 10 AM-2 PM MT
April 26-29: Student Body Presidency Elections in Homeroom
April 28: Logan ILC Field Trip at Mack Park (Middle Pavillion) from 10 AM-2 PM MT
April 28: Thursday Night Live at 4:00 PM MT
April 29: Special Online Event at 1:00 PM MT – “How to Flirt” with Ross Gilbert and Pete Jensen
April 29: Outdoor Adventures #9
May 3: Pleasant Grove ILC Field Trip at Quail Cove Park from 11 AM-3 PM MT
May 6: Inspiration Hour at 1:00 PM MT
May 6: First Friday Game Night at 6:00 PM MT
May 6: Outdoor Adventures #10
May 24: Lagoon Day in Farmington, Utah – Learn more and sign up here
P.S. Are you having a great experience at LAU and want to help us spread the word? If so, we’d love to have you leave us a review on Niche or GreatSchools (or both!) to help new families find us. If your experience with us has been anything less than ideal, please call us at 800-200-6869.