Let’s think for a moment about connection. Why is it important, and why did we make it one of our Six Mentor Practices?
Connection is what brings meaning and purpose to our lives. Research shows that people with strong connections to others are happier, healthier, and better able to cope with the stresses of everyday life. We know students learn better and retain more when they feel connected to the subject and/or their mentor. For these reasons, we systematically teach our mentors to focus on connection. So, what does this look like in the online classroom?
- Validation: Our mentors anticipate needs and/or validate feelings about the phases of a project, semester, or life in general that students may be experiencing. Validation shows that we understand students and value their experience.
- Connecting with content: Our mentors share in a clear way that resonates with students, such as sharing why the principles are relevant.
- Personal connections: Our mentors aren’t there to deliver information but to have two-way conversations.
- Depth: Our mentors open doors to magical new worlds that students cannot access on their own. They share context and guide students to answers through self-reflection.
- Vulnerability: Our mentors are real about their experiences and feelings. They share personal stories that allow students to see them as human and imperfect.
Thank you for allowing us to connect with your students! It is an honor and a joy every day.
Executive Director, LAU
Fall registration is open! Please visit this page for information to guide you through the process. If you have any questions about registration, please call our Support Team at 800-200-6869.
Leave a review: Are you having a great experience at LAU and want to help us spread the word? If so, we’d love to have you leave us a review on Niche or GreatSchools (or both!) to help new families find us. If your experience with us has been anything less than ideal, please call us at 800-200-6869.
Outdoor Adventures is expanding! Fall registration has begun, and we’re excited to share that we’re working on adding new locations to our OA program! We currently have opportunities for new programs in Cache County, Weber County, Davis County, Salt Lake County, Utah County, Sanpete County, and Washington County. Each area requires at least 15 students by the end of April to move forward with the program. Please register your student today to ensure we can move forward with new OA programs in your area.
Exciting Opportunity! The Elevation Youth Summit (along with the Education Empowerment Conference for parents) is coming up in Layton, Utah, on Saturday, May 21. LAU is working closely with Education Empowerment Hub to hold these events, so we’re excited to share that all current LAU students (or students who have applied for next year) and their parents can attend for free! Both are all-day events, and the Youth Summit includes a dance in the evening. Just use promo code LAUFAMILY2022 to get your free tickets! (Click here for instructions on how to enter the promo code.)
Did your student miss our last Inspiration Hour? Click here to watch the newest recording from last week’s Tech Safety Summit.
Today: Outdoor Adventure #8
April 14: Thursday Night Live at 4:00 PM MT
April 15: Inspiration Hour at 1:00 PM MT
April 16: Pool Party in Layton, Utah, from 7:00 PM-10:00 PM MT – Click here to learn more and sign up
April 18: Spring Recess – No Class, Offices Closed
April 22: Burger Meet in Lindsey, California – Click here to learn more
May 24: Lagoon Day – Learn more and sign up here.