Weekly Parent Email – March 25, 2022
What do you believe separates a good class from a mediocre or even a bad one? At LAU, we have thought about this concept a lot. We have intentionally designed our curriculum and instruction around our Six Mentor Practices that form the foundation for exceptional learning. We believe every mentor will be prepared to create transformational learning experiences and inspire students to live meaningful lives as principled leaders when they become highly skilled at the Six Mentor Practices:
- Transformational Learning: Our mentors are trained to facilitate learning experiences for students that permanently expand the way students view themselves and the world.
- Connection: Our mentors are deeply connected to WL’s missions and values and relate to, inspire, challenge, and develop personal relationships with students.
- Engaging Presentation: Our mentors use a combination of powerful hooks, visuals, stories, personal touches, slides, and nonverbal communication to entice learning.
- Project-Based Learning: Project-Based Learning (or PBL) is about taking the principles students learn in the classroom and translating them into practical action. PBL invites students to become real-world problem solvers.
- Quality Feedback: Our mentors provide specific and meaningful feedback by reminding students why they matter, celebrating success, and offering specific suggestions for improvement that demand quality.
- Socratic Method: Our mentors ask the right kinds of questions at the right times to help students learn to ask the right questions and nurture critical thinking. This helps students understand how to think, not what to think.
Look for a detailed explanation of each practice in upcoming messages!
Executive Director, LAU
Fall registration for returning students starts this Monday, March 28! Get ready to take advantage of priority registration for returning students! Registration for new students will start on Wednesday, March 30. Also, please note that your student must apply and be accepted for 2022-23 before you can register for fall classes. If you have any questions about registration, please call our Support Team at 800-200-6869.
Leave a review: Are you having a great experience at LAU and want to help us spread the word? If so, we’d love to have you leave us a review on Niche or GreatSchools (or both!) to help new families find us. If your experience with us has been anything less than ideal, please call us at 800-200-6869.
Tech Safety Summit is next week! LAU will be hosting a Tech Safety Summit from March 31-April 1. All content was sent earlier this week for parents to review. Parents and students are also invited to attend a special online event on Thursday, March 31, at 6:00 PM MT. If you have any questions, please send us an email.
Come learn about our new in-person learning options! We’re excited to tell you more about the new programs we’re launching soon! Join us for pizza nights around Northern Utah next week where we’ll discuss the recent changes, our new programs for this year, and even the big picture of what’s ahead for LAU and Williamsburg. You’re welcome to attend whether or not you have a current student at LAU this semester. Please RSVP by the end of the day if you’d like to attend one of the following events:
- Cache Valley: Tuesday, March 29 • 6:30 PM-8:00 PM • Located at the Bullen Center Ballroom, 43 S Main Street, Logan, UT, 84321 (Click here for directions)
- Weber County: Wednesday, March 30 • 6:30 PM-8:00 PM • Located at the Southwest Branch Library (Weber Co.) Large Meeting Room, 2039 W 4000 S, Roy, UT, 84067 (Click here for directions)
- Utah County: Thursday, March 31 • 7:00 PM-8:30 PM • Located at the Lindon Community Center, 25 North Main Street, Lindon, UT, 84042 (Click here for directions)
Is your student interested in joining the Student Body Leadership team? Whether they want to run for President, Vice President, or Secretary or they’re simply interested in participating, students can sign up and submit their application for the Student Body Leadership team through Friday, April 8. Students can find more info and sign up in Homeroom under the “Student Services” section by selecting “Elections and Leadership.”
LAU Student Spotlight: Congratulations to LAU student Cheyenne Ruiz for winning the national wrestling competition! Cheyenne took first in the 16U Girls Folkstyle Nationals and placed second in the Junior Division. Her victory was crucial in helping Team Utah place second in the National Team Duals. Congratulations, Cheyenne!
Today: New Student Outreach at 1:00 PM MT
Today: Ice Skating Party in Provo, UT from 4:00 PM-8:00 PM MT – Learn more here
Today: Outdoor Adventure #7
March 28: Fall registration begins for returning families
March 30: Fall registration begins for new families
March 31-April 1: Tech Safety Summit
March 31: Online Tech Safety Summit event with with special guest Greta Eskridge at 6:00 PM MT
April 1: Inspiration Hour at 1:00 PM MT
April 1: First Friday Game Night with Student Body Leadership at 6:00 PM MT
April 18: Spring Recess – No Class
May 24: Lagoon Day – Learn more and sign up here