Leadership Academy of Utah (LAU) is a public charter school that does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, gender, national origin, or religion. LAU admissions and transfer policies comply with the Utah Code 53A-1a506.5.
LAU is a full-time program that operates during traditional fall and winter semesters.
LAU serves students 6th through 12th grade.
Open Enrollment Period
The open enrollment period is a three-week period from the last week of January to mid-February. It is the state-required time set aside for new and continuing students to apply for admission to LAU for the following school year.
Continuing Students: Currently enrolled LAU students in good standing are required to submit a continuing student application during the open enrollment period each year to be guaranteed placement for the following school year. The application can be found under the “My Student” tab in SIS.
Prospective Students: Parents wishing to enroll new students in Leadership Academy of Utah must submit the Intent to Enroll form online, as well as the required documentation for each prospective student.
At the close of the Open Enrollment Period
If the number of applications does not exceed the LAU enrollment cap, all applications will be accepted.
If the number of applications exceeds the LAU enrollment cap, all continuing students will be accepted, and prospective student applications will be subject to the Lottery process.
If the number of applications exceeds the LAU enrollment cap, all continuing students will be accepted, and prospective student applications will be subject to the Lottery Process:
- The lottery will be initiated within one (1) business day after the close of the enrollment window.
- Applications remaining after prioritization (see below) will be randomly assigned a number and selected to fill any spots that may become available.
- As a prospective applicant is selected, that applicant, and any of the applicant’s siblings, are offered a placement at the school.
- Accepted students must respond to placement notifications by the response deadline. If no response is received, the placement will be offered to the next student.
Prioritization of Lottery applications is as follows:
- Siblings of current students
- Children of staff or board members (including founding board members)
- Transfers from partner school (active Williamsburg students)
- Children of active-duty military
- As determined for program viability (ILC)
- All other students
All prospective student applications remaining after the enrollment cap has been met, will be moved to the waiting list. Priority applications that do not receive a spot during open enrollment will be at the top of the waitlist.
Any applications that come in after the Open Enrollment period, are added to the waitlist in order of submission and prioritization criteria.
Students not admitted during Open Enrollment will remain on a waiting list, preserving the order as determined by the lottery, giving preference to siblings of attending students, etc. Students currently on the waiting list will be retained for the entirety of the school year until enrolled or they decline their enrollment position.
Information regarding student status on the waiting list or chances of being drawn will not be given out, as staff cannot provide answers to these questions.
Required to Enroll
During the enrollment process you will be asked questions required by school policy or state or federal law:
- Emergency Contact
- School district of residence
- Home language\ESL\bilingual education
- Prior speech and\or language services
- SPED\IEP\504 history
- Medical information\history including visual or hearing impairments, ADD/ADHD, etc.
- Foster child\ward of state
- Refugee status
- Juvenile probation
- Expulsion\suspension history
- Media consent and release
- Declaration of household income
- School directory disclosure
You’ll be asked to provide the following required documents:
- Parent/Guardian identification, e.g. driver’s license\passport
- Student’s birth certificate
- Copy of latest IEP or 504 (if applicable)
- Immunization record or exemption form (see below)
- Proof of current residence (utility bill or a notarized letter from homeowner if renting)
As determined by Utah State Law, Leadership Academy of Utah is required to have immunization records or a certificate of exemption from immunize.utah.gov for each enrolled child. Exemptions are available to parents for medical, religious, or personal convictions.
- Vaccines Required for School Enrollment in Utah
Notification of Admission
Parents will be notified via e-mail and/or phone when students are accepted to LAU.
Note: It is the responsibility of parents to ensure LAU has current contact information for receiving notifications.
Parents are required to respond to an offer of admission by the Response Deadline (see below). Deadlines vary based on the time of year.
Leadership Academy of Utah will attempt to contact parents regarding their child’s admission a minimum of two times. If the parent cannot be contacted or is non-responsive by the deadline, the available space may be offered to another waiting student. Response deadlines are calculated from the first attempted contact as follows:
Time of Year
Mid-February through the third week of July
The fourth week of July
August 1st through the first day of school
2 Working days
Parents who accept admission should complete any missing application items including submission of all necessary documents before the course registration deadline. If the deadline is not met, the available space may be offered to another waiting student.