Pick your passion.
Through Funded Independent Courses, LAU provides access to your student’s favorite activities from a qualifying vendor of your choice.
Here’s how Funded Independent Courses work:
LAU students have the option of taking one Funded Independent Course from an LAU approved vendor per semester.*
The purpose of Funded Independent Courses is to help students access courses that:
- Are at a beginning or intermediate level of instruction
- Get students off their screens and encourage social interaction
- Are offered by professionals who operate under a business license
- Are in physical, public settings, such as studios, gyms, or other public places
- Fulfill required standards
- Are not in competition with or similar to courses already offered by LAU
Courses that do not fulfill the purpose of this program and will not be approved include:
- Online courses – they do not engage students in physical or social activities in a public setting.
- Core courses, including History, Science, Math, Social Studies, Language Arts, and Leadership. LAU already offers courses in these subjects.
- Any type of 1:1 instruction not offered in a public setting. Public settings include places like a dance studio, a university, or a place of business; a private residence does not qualify.
- Classes from local tech colleges.
Approved courses may include:
- Fine Arts – Dance, media arts, music study, choir, instrumental, theater, and visual arts.
- PE – Group physical activities that require the development of physical skills and fitness, such as martial arts, gymnastics, sports, etc.
- Electives – Live courses that meet the purpose of the program as described above and in which LAU does not already provide related offerings.
Questions? Please reach out to Cynthia Hampton for more info.
Click below to learn more about what you need to do to participate in Funded Independent Courses:
Process for Students:
The process for students is identical to the process already established in non-funded Independent Courses. Students must:
- Log required hours of practice/performance during the semester (60 hours for high school and 40 hours for middle school students).
- Complete 4 brief reports, one for every 15 hours of practice/performance.
- Receive instruction at least four times from a person who is qualified as a professional in the field (high school coaches, construction contractors, martial arts instructors, piano teachers, etc.).
Important note: Funded Independent Courses courses are a privilege. Students who do not log the required hours and submit the required reports will not pass the class. Students who fail to pass a Funded Independent Course will be unable to take it again the next semester.
Process for Parents:
- Enroll your student in a Funded Independent PE, Fine Arts or Elective course from an LAU approved vendor.
- Select an approved vendor or you may invite a vendor to apply to become a vendor through LAU. Parents are responsible for communicating all deadlines and requirements with them.
- Fall Semester Vendor Application Deadline:
September 5 (or following Monday if 5th is over the weekend)
- Winter Semester Vendor Application Deadline:
January 25 (or following Monday if 25th is over the weekend)
- Fall Semester Vendor Application Deadline:
- LAU approves the enrollment.
- Parents communicate with vendors to make all arrangements and understand any additional costs, program availability and other registration details. ALL Funded Electives will require additional registration outside of LAU registration.
- Parents fill out this form to tell the LAU team which vendor(s) they have invited to apply.
- Vendor applies for and receives approval through LAU.
- LAU pays approved vendors directly.
- Vendor must be a professional in the field that offers classes to the public. (Non-professionals and family members are not eligible to teach Funded Elective courses.)
- If your Vendor is not already approved, please follow through with them and communicate all requirements and deadlines for the application process.
- If your Vendor IS approved but is a new Vendor to you, remember that parents and/or students are responsible to communicate with Vendors to make all arrangements and understand any additional costs, program availability and other registration details. ALL Funded Electives will require additional registration outside of LAU registration. Please see Vendor list below for Vendor contact information.
Process for Vendors:
- Complete the Vendor Application & Consent Form on this page.
- Complete a fingerprint background check at a site near you.
- Get listed on the LAU website so more families can find you (unless you request otherwise).
*For 2020-21, the funding limit for Funded Independent Courses is $300 per semester.