The following information is about LAU technology systems and requirements. Some questions and answers for specific problems are included. At the end of the page, we offer some suggestions about safe internet viewing.
Tips for Parents
- We recommend that parents regularly communicate with students about internet safety, and set rules about the types of websites and content students are allowed to view; just installing a filter is generally not sufficient, since all filters are imperfect; the goal should be for students to learn to self-govern online, because parents cannot always control access
- Computers provided by LAU will come with filtering software pre-installed. Please note that no filtering software is 100% effective
- Google’s SafeSearch and many other services offer search options that remove (most) adult content
- Communicate with your students about the amount of time and the range of activities your students do online. In general, students should not surf the web or use social media during class or homework hours
Here are a few free resources:
- Free Anti-virus for Windows: Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, avast!
- Free Anti-virus for Mac: Norton iAntivirus, Avira Mac Security, Comodo, Sophos, avast!
- Filters for Windows: Windows Live Family Safety
- Filters for WindowsMac: K9 Web Protection
- Filters for iOS mobile devices: AVG Family Safety for Mobile